Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Traveling Details, 1/11/2010

For those of you are into details here are some from our trip!

We left the Grogg house at 9:36 a.m., made it to the airport and security with only minor problems like I forgot to take my quart size bag of liquids out of my book bag but remembered to take them out of the other carry ons (and now I am told that I should consider baby wipes a liquid too, side note for mother travelers). We checked 7 suitcases and an infant car seat. (It’s going to be Christmas all over again by the time we get them all unpacked.)

Arrived in Atlanta on a super nice plane at 3:30 p.m. (AZ time), the ones where each chair has their own TV in the chair. Kolby and Jon sat in the 2 chairs on the very right side of the plane while Gabby, Kyler and I in the 2 chairs on the very left side. We were separated by 3 chairs down the middle. But Gabby and I quickly made friends with the middle aisle, due to Gabby’s charming personality ☺ and they helped us “stow our carry on” (which continued to be a problem each flight b/c we could never find a space for it…but kept our bookbags at our feet.). The stewardess tried to take our ONE bag to put up top (I think a family of 5 could be allowed to store one freaking bag!) The nice newly weds fought with me to shove it above us ignoring her. They saw the tears spring into my eyes! Don’t mess with the mom of 3 traveling for 24 hours. I knew if she checked it she would check it all the way thru to Africa so I was panicking. Seriously, if you are flying with a carry on that can go under your feet PUT the stupid thing at your feet! The couple that helped us were on their honeymoon. So I explained to Gabby how she had just been in a big Cinderella dress. She started dancing around telling everyone in ear shot about her “lella” dress.

Grabbed some Panda Express and Happy Meals in Atlanta. While Jon and the kids got “lunch” I tried my best to get us bulk head seating AGAIN. Not happening AGAIN. The gate across from us was swarming with men and women serving in the army. I didn’t get a chance to look exactly where they were going but probably the Middle East somewhere. Instead of strangling the guy behind the counter at my gate, I decided to count my blessings! Here we were headed overseas together as a family, while tons of wives, husbands, and children were saying goodbye to their loved ones.

Boarded our overseas plane with Jon and I cussing sometimes out loud and sometimes in our heads ☺. People with no small children sitting in the bulk head seating AGAIN while we had ONE carry on to stow in the top and Jon had to put it ALL the way in the back of the plane. I was sitting next to a big man from Mali, super sweet and nice thank you Jesus. Gabby sat next to me, but then I realized there was no way I was going to be able to feed kyler next to the big man, so Gabby and I moved to the outside aisle with 2 seats and Kolby and Jon moved to the inside one. Gabby was such a mommy’s girl ALL day so it was tricky juggling her and Kyler. Daddy stepped in to save the day when I thought to myself, “This is NEVER going to work!” for the 100th time. After I feed Kyler and they let us take off our seatbelts (about 6:45 p.m. Phoenix time already!) Jon got Kyler to fall asleep on the chair next to him (he made a little tent over him to keep the light out and everything) and Kolby to fall asleep on the floor. I had to hold Gabby in several thousands of positions throughout the flight but she fell asleep right away too. Basically our kids slept from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. Jon and I tried to sleep a little inbetween Gabby and Kolby waking up and crying. Gabby’s eyes were gooey and watery so I think she has an infection in them again. Kolby would just wake up coughing or bumping his head on something. All in all they did great. It was a harder trip than going to America but I really think it’s harder b/c you are traveling during your real night of sleep. Going to America we were in the van driving to my parents house (where we could sleep from KC to Topeka) by 3 a.m. our time so we didn’t have to push thru an all-nighter.

Landed in Paris. Funny how when we fly to France after being in Africa we always comment on how neat, clean and organized it is. This time, we were SO annoyed b/c they were slow and disorganized! We got used to America way too fast. We had to check in and get a boarding pass, try to rush through security, and run to our gate that was boarding. We made it! Thanks for all your prayers. We made all our connecting flights no problems. Jon sat with Kolby and Gabby while I sat across from Kyler and I. They served the best fish and couscous (not even kidding). And this little lemon pastry! Cracks me up that we get peanuts in America and a five course meal in France on our 2 hour flight! The kids watched “UP” (first time to get out the DVD player) while Kyler slept. Jon kept the trays of food from going all over somehow while juggling squirming over-tired children. Arrived in Africa at 7 a.m. exactly Phoenix time!! Uh good grief it’s pure torture! At some point on our Paris to Africa flight I had just wanted to lay down so bad and sleep. But Jon is a good encourager and together we somehow made it out into the airport with happy children, walked right through customs (no more HINI testing happening), picked up our luggage super fast (for here) and greeted our friends in the airport, Jon pushing 5 bags, me pushing 3 and Gabby (and wearing Kyler).

What great friends we have! Right away Kylan stepped into take over my pushing job, Justin helped Jon and Angie and I got to say “HELLO! YEAH!! SO GOOD TO SEE YOU HUGS HUGS…” You know what normal friends do after not seeing eachother ☺ Veronica, Ellie, Kristie and Kian awaited us at our house at about 4 p.m. Africa time (8 a.m. Monday morning in Phx). The kids reunited easily, Veronica is ready to have that baby in a month, everyone drew us pictures, left us special treats including groceries and diapers. Seriously, again, I feel like we have the easy life with everyone helping us out!! THANKS!!

The kids ran in the yard and climbed in the tree house…till Kolby had a melt down (about 30 minutes after arrival)…we put him to bed and he just woke up at 8 p.m. He’s playing in his room (it’s freezing in there, the heater in the kids’ rooms aren’t working) having a good ol’ time! Gabby stayed awake for another hour or so but then put herself to bed once she had picked out jammies and wrapped her baby up to put in her wooden cradle. Jon and I went to bed right away too.

Now it’s 10 p.m. (Monday night) for us. The whole fam is up (minus Kyler). We slept about 3 hours. Jon is attacking the luggage while I sit here and blog (even though we don’t have internet but I figure I can go send it from Veronica’s internet tomorrow). Kolby wanted to pop popcorn and have a juice box. Gabby joined us now and has some shoes on over her jammies and keeps going up and down the stairs to “see” her room. Kolby is already building with his legos and has said funny things like, “Ah, I like the smell of our bathroom.” Home again home again jiggity jig (that’s for our mothers). We have both commented on how loud it is in here b/c of the concrete and how glowing white it is! It took us back to 2 years ago arriving with the Holdrens and how weird it felt…the smells, feel, and sounds! But it’s already becoming super familiar again.

Love you all. Great to have home in two special places!

2 comments:

Megan said...

I'm so glad you guys had a safe trip back. I'm tired after reading what all you went through!

Lisa said...

Oh Reas, I'm SO happy for you that you're home now- back into a routine and that your kids have their rooms, and that Kolby loves the smell of his bathroom- how funny! We miss you guys terribly already, but are SO HAPPY and eager to share you with Epiphany. We are and will continue to really be praying for you and for everyone there. We love you guys so much, and it was such a treasure to get to see and spend time with you! Enjoy the rest of your week. I love how God is showing you the good in Epiphany now that you're back- what a huge blessing!!!Love,
Lisa