Friday, January 14, 2011

Riots Update

Well so much for how I usually find myself saying we moved to one of the safest countries :) But I guess we are still very safe! Today is the day the city is supposed to be completely shut down (the threat of no water or electricity did not come to pass THANK YOU, LORD!). After a speech from the President last night we are all feeling extremely hopeful though. We even ventured out of our house...okay so we walked down the street to Veronica's and the boys went to look for some lunch just out of curiosity really. They weren't able to find shwarmas but did find chipotees and several opened hanuts (little stores). So we were celebrating w/ take out and playing outside this morning. The guys did say they saw several burned things and many broken brick pieces up and down streets. From what we have heard from friends, online, and TV it sounds like people are, for the most part, happy w/ the talk that staple food items (bread, sugar, eggs) will be cut down in price; more freedom of speech; no more censorship of the internet; and the president won't run for another term (after having ruled for 23 years). Today is pivotal...to see if he will follow through. We are continuing to pray for peace, both political and in the hearts of people. We are rejoicing that things seem to be calming down...and will see what tonight brings. Still have not heard officially that the curfew is lifted. I feel like I am handling all this pretty well :) I have been most thankful for friends and family...here and across the ocean. The group of Americans we have here has been wonderful...seems like again we are all working together like the Body should. We have also been encouraged w/ prayers, phone calls, and emails from all of you in America! I have been reminding myself of a verse I memorized the first year I lived in Phoenix when I did a bible study w/ my Mil...Ps 56:3-4, "When I am afraid, I will trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?" Okay, except they can shut off our power and water...but hey, we were ready w/ every bucket and pan in our house filled to the rim!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow, Reasa. It does sound like you're handling all this wonderfully. Through Him, all things are possible! :) We love you guys and are praying and think of you very often. Tell Jon hi for Zach..
Love you,
Lisa