Saturday, July 4, 2009

I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag

Little Miss Sparkles in her outfit from Nana, hand-me-down heeled sandals from cousin Jayden, and painted toes thanks to Imen (our sitter for when I am in language class.)

Mr. Happy Pants after his second trip to the barber! He did great and was really excited...he just didn't want to have his picture taken.

This is what Kolby does during Gabby's naptimes...he's always building something. Today he built "the United States tower".

Kolby's friend Amelia called to say hello today. He was so funny...he walked around talking to her and pacing back and forth. This was his first sentence, "Hi Amelia! I am the super hero. What are you?"

America's birthday cake...complete with marshmellow stars, skittles, and a cake mix!


July 4th takes on a whole other meaning for me now that we are living overseas. It's weird to think that our kids won't learn to say the Pledge of Allegiance or sing the National Anthem unless we teach them. Thanks to Nat & my mom we have some fun July 4th things to help us celebrate...stars (which are actually becoming part of our bedroom decor), napkins, candles, and cute clothes for the kids. Kolby has been so excited to put on his July 4th t-shirt. He wanted to get dressed right away this morning. Yesterday we practiced singing Happy Birthday dear America while the kids took turns blowing out the July 4th candle...so this morning we made a birthday cake (trying to use the oven before it gets blazing hot). Jon recited the Pledge with them at breakfast too. Oh the little things that seem so so familiar...but might never feel as familiar for our children. Thankfully they have been super excited about the whole thing. I think it helps when we try to make a big deal about it. I'm trying to remember that I need to really explain American holidays to the kids. It's easy to just keep it all inside my head in the midst of busyness. So I described to Kolby what we used to do while living in America for July 4th and what his cousins might be doing today to celebrate along with him. I'm proud to be an American living in a different country. My prayer is someday my kids will be too. That they will see how the Lord has blessed us as Americans, and be excited to bless others because of it.

Three cheers for America!! Getting ready to sing Happy Birthday with our friends!

2 comments:

Erin said...

OK- seriously the picture of Gabby is priceless. TOO CUTE. Kolby looks so grown-up between his haircut and phone conversation! If it makes you feel any better I didn't do a very good job of celebrating here. The girls didn't even wear red, white and blue. Bad mom, bad :) I love the cake. Honestly you make the cutest cakes- sell them my friend. Well, this one would be a hard sell...

Lisa said...

Kolby is so handsome!! And talking on the phone? Too cute. And you're so creative doing the birthday cake for America- you did much more than I did, which was nothing! I love Erin's comment about selling cakes you make, and that this one would be hard to sell. She's funny!