Saturday, July 24, 2010

Thanks, Momma

I've been trying to finish this entry for days...so the info is a couple days off..

Today during nap time Kolby actually fell asleep (b/c we went swimming in an awesome pool this morning thanks to our friends Zack & Corrie!). I went in to check on him and he looked cold so I covered him up with a blanket. He opened his eyes, smiled sweetly, and said, "Thanks, Momma," then closed his eyes and fell back to sleep.

I realized at that moment of sweetness that no matter how many pep talks I give myself during the day, I continue to let my stress get the better of me. Kolby, you are so sweet. Naturally, you tend to be more sweet than mean. It seems like your un-sweetness is only learned from us, a response to our stress. Upon waking, for 2 seconds, you sweetly smile and use your manners?! But other times, during the day, your un-sweetness emerges somehow. You are so sensitive. No matter how hard I try you can sense my emotions...even if I am conquering the bad ones. I'm sorry I don't enjoy you more. You are so creative and go on and on with make believe stories. You are still into pirates and spooky ghosts. 99% of the time you are the "King of Golden" and at least once a day you bring up how we should only worship God and not golden idols. I rarely have to entertain Kyler b/c you are so into him. Yesterday in the car you were pretending to eat his hands and feet, all the while slobbering all over him and yourself. He was cracking up. Whenever he nears the steps you say, "Mom! Kyler is going to fall off the steps!" or "Mom, Kyler is trying to climb the stairs!" You have also really progressed with your mad reading skills. I can't believe in just a month or so WE will start Kindergarten! I never would have thought I would get to be a teacher...and it's even better that I get to be a teacher to you. Lots of new for me and you, buddy.
You teach me everyday. We noticed a few days ago that you have a tooth growing up behind your baby teeth (on the bottom). At breakfast you were asking me what would happen with your teeth. I said that maybe you would have to have a baby tooth pulled out by the dentist. You replied, "Let's just pray about that. God will heal my teeth." Faith like a five year old.

Kolby, thanks for having grace for your parents as we learn to parent. You are our best oldest child :). I love you and hope you will always know that...despite the stresses we face everyday with you either sensing them or getting the bad end of the deal. You really are such a good little boy. And this video cracks me up! I know it looks a little abusive...but I swear Kyler was laughing so hard I had to get the camera instead of telling you to stop hitting him in the face!!

5 comments:

Erin said...

This is a beautiful post and one I needed to read. I also need to write one ;) Thanks for sharing your life with us.

the Johnsons said...

ahhhhh. can we come live with you? i think we would have fun.

Lisa said...

Oh Reasa, I was just reading with goosebumps all over my arms! What an awesome post- that you can keep and remember forever- you're so right. The times when they are un-sweet is mostly because of our actions, responses to them, whatever stress we're under. And you're right too- whether or not we're conquering those emotions, they still feel them and respond accordingly. I needed to be reminded of that, Reasa. Thank you, and give Kolby a kiss from us! We miss you guys and love you!

Stacey Gibson said...

First, I like your new background.
Second, I liked your post, thanks.
Third, I like you and think you're swell.
Fourth, that video did look abusive, but I believe you and I bet your boys are dang funny together. Kids laugh at the silliest things don't they?
Miss you friend.

Anonymous said...

Reasa, I just read your posts over the last several months (I know, terrible) and I admire your honesty about life's ups and downs as a parent of 3 children and the way you see Christ and reflect that to them. You are doing GREAT. Hang in there. We all love you SO much and think you are an amazing mom, and I know your kids and husband do too! LOVE YOU!!! I love reading your stories too, and the things your sweet children say, ahhh, LOVE THEM!!! Cousinn Mickey :)