Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Our battleground

It feels like war around here lately! And actually it is...all too often I am reminded that our war is NOT against flesh & blood but against the powers of the dark (Eph 6). How can I help my children learn and understand this? Believe it or not, these sweet little faces aren't always this sweet :) How can I keep the right perspective as we go through our day?

Gabby adores Kolby. Kolby adores Kyler. Gabby adores Kyler. Kolby adores Mommy (b/c I have soft skin he told me the other day). Kyler adores Kolby. What I am trying to say is that their loyalties to each other change like the wind! As seen in this photo, Gabby is upset that she is not sitting by Kyler but must sit by Kolby. Kolby is happy b/c he is sitting by Kyler and Gabby is not! Teaching these small little people to love each other is a serious task. I think my mom must still feel like this (huh, Mom?!)!!

This week I have been reminded that it is ME that is modeling to them how to love others. It is me that is modeling to Gabby how to respect her Daddy. It is me modeling to Kolby how to put others' needs before his own. This job is a little more scary than I was expecting... :) I am realizing how Satan HATES it when I model Christ to them. God pours out grace to me, then out of the blue I feel like I am getting beat over the head, God pours more grace, more beatings, etc. There is a war going on...not just between siblings. I really need to remember this when the physical chaos is overwhelming and the task tiring. My "little disciples" are watching my every move and listening to my every word.

Kolby, Gabby, and Kyler, I'm sorry for all the times I don't model Christ to you. I know that I am teaching you bad habits all too often instead of good. There is hope though...despite my mistakes, sins and selfishnesses. "B/c of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:22-23) God is faithful and will teach and mold you into who He created you to be!

2 comments:

Tara said...

Reasa!

Keep up the great work! You can do it, sister! Your kiddos are precious and so wonderful...we really enjoyed the time we had to hang out with them!

I know you know all this, but I want to encourage you today. Know that you are not forgotten...we think of you all the time! Praising HIM for your lives and work!

much love,
tara

Erin said...

Amen sister, amen. Glad we get to go into battle with each other at our sides :)